[SunRescue] multicpu m68K

paul.pries at mo.mailnet.fi paul.pries at mo.mailnet.fi
Wed Sep 15 03:53:19 CDT 1999

> Bengt Kleberg wrote:
> >
> > The Swedish company Diab Data made 68k computers. Up to 4x68040. The OS was
DNIX
> > and they where very successful selling to small companies, small govenment
agancies and local
> > councils.
>
> I know I had my hands on an old DG-system once that was thrown out by a
> local company.

Not DG, DIAB. ;)

> It was pretty interesting piece of hardware, considering
> it was quite old. I whink it was a DS90? Can't remember the modele but
> it ran DNIX and was powered by a 68010 (I think).
> It had some obscure SCSI-to-MFM converter plus some small SCSI-disks,
> plus a QIC tape.

If it had an internal cardcage vith separate borads for about everything
it was a DS90-00. I got one of those. Slow but cool and easy to repair.

> The main problem with this beast was that we didn't have the appropriate
> software to do anything useful with it, so we tossed it over to someone
> else...

So, if you find another one, you now know where to get software for it...
Or, if you happen to find another one (preferably a 90-30) and wanna toss
it somewhere, you know where to dump it. :)

> 4x68040? That sounds like it could be useful even in these days.
> Are those still available in sweden? Could be a cool toy to play with.
> :-)

Or better yet, a couple of 90-31 or 90-40 running in the DIAB fibre optic
cluster... This was a real state of the art setup.

Paul.