[SunRescue] SPARCsystem 600MP needs an OS

Chris Sterling lemmy at eaze.net
Sun Sep 5 01:56:21 CDT 1999

On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, James Lockwood wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Sep 1999, Chris Sterling wrote:
>
> > CPU #0 and CPU #2? both 60Mhz. Better than I expected... I got netbsd's
> > miniroot to boot off a CD (though I cannot get it to do anything useful)
> > according to the kernel messges, it's got a pair of 312MB drives.
>
> Dual SM61's then.  Those 312MB drives are probably Seagate/Imprimis/CDC
> 327's, they were the drives originally shipped with 4/330's.  You will
> have a much easier time of it if you can install larger or faster drives,
> those are slow by modern standards and a full OS installation will take up
> both of them with little room to spare.
>
> This will be a very nice machine when you get everything running, each
> SM61 is comparable in speed to a 110MHz Sparc 5.  Together you have more
> aggregate processing power than nearly any single-CPU pre-Ultra.
>
> > I really don't have any use for the VME stuff. I've got Solaris 2.6 (5/98)
> > on CD. Is there anywhere I can get a cheap copy of 2.5.1?
>
> Not sure.  I may have an extra copy but you should probably patch 2.6
> instead.
>
> > I've got other machines that could netboot this beast, Linux(x86) or
> > Solaris 2.5.1(sparcbook 3GX) and 2.6(SS2).
> >
> > So, basicly I could patch the kernel on my SS2 running 2.6, and then
> > netboot the beast from there?  Cool. Where do I start?
>
> First step: build an install server on one of the other systems, it
> doesn't matter which.  This is documented in the Solaris manuals, but
> basically you use the scripts in the "Tools" subdirectory of your 2.6
> install CD to copy the files to your local drive and then run
> add_install_client with the parameters for the SS600 (ethernet address, IP
> address, hostname, architecture).  The SS600 is sun4m.
>
> Next, try to netboot the SS600.  It should give you the exact same
> "unsupported" message that you got before.  This is to sanity-check the
> netboot installation.
>
> Next, go into the root directory of the netboot image.  cd into
> platform/sun4m/kernel in the netboot area (not relative to your root
> directory) and run the following:
>
> % echo "startup,500?ai" | adb unix |grep ss600
> startup+0x6fc:  call    iam_ss600
>
> (this address is from Solaris 7, you will get a different offset for 2.6)
> Next use this address for the next instruction:
>
> % echo "startup+0x6fc,10?ai" | adb unix
> startup+0x6fc:
> startup+0x6fc:  call    iam_ss600
> startup+0x700:  nop
> startup+0x704:  orcc    %g0, %o0, %g0
> startup+0x708:  be      startup+0x724
> startup+0x70c:  nop
> startup+0x710:  sethi   %hi(0xf007bc00), %l0
> startup+0x714:  call    startup+0x714
> startup+0x718:  add     %l0, 0x1fc, %o0
> startup+0x71c:  call    halt
> startup+0x720:  clr     %o0
> startup+0x724:  call    param_init
> startup+0x728:  sethi   %hi(0x0), %l0
> startup+0x72c:  ld      [%l0], %l0
> startup+0x730:  cmp     %l0, 0x0
> startup+0x734:  sethi   %hi(0xf025e000), %l0
> startup+0x738:  be      startup+0x74c

> [...]

The netboot worked like a champ. The address for Sol2.6 is 0x71c, with
halt at 0x74c.

Unfortunatly, both disks are toast. Which brings me to my next question...
how the heck do I get those monster drives out?

The drives I have on hand are... Seagate, 2.1BG (connor bios), and a old
Barracuda or two, probably 1GB'ers. Do I need drives with SUN bios, or
will these work?  I'll also have to go buy an external drive case I guess.
Can I mount 3.5" drives in the 330's chassis?

Thanks again!

Chris Sterling
System Administrator
EazeNet