[SunRescue] INFO: LX memory

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Fri Sep 3 17:11:14 CDT 1999

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Matthew Haas wrote:

> Now here is where I think I need to be enlightened some more.. I was sort
> of under the impression that CG6 and GX were one in the same, but came in
> different flavors (CG6, accelerated, etc.) I take it this isn't the case?
> Any clarity will be greatly appreciated.

The cg6 is a framebuffer family which includes a number of different cards
with the same interface.  Notable among these are:

  The original P4 GX
  The dual-slot GX
  The dual-slot GX+
  The single-slot GX
  The single-slot TGX
  The single-slot TGX+
  The IPX onboard video (single-slot GX clone)
  The LX onboard video (single-slot TGX/TGX+ clone)

The GX and GX+ were the original designs, the P4 GX coming first and the
dual-slot GX being a near clone of it with an sbus interface.  They are
accelerated and have either 1MB (GX) or 4MB (GX+) of memory.  8-bit only,
the GX maxes out at 1152x900 and the GX+ at 1280x1024 (I believe), but the
GX+ gives you double-buffering.

The single-slot GX was a minor revision of the dual-slot GX with similar
functionality.  It is more compact and has one or two more selectable scan
rates.

The TGX and TGX+ are similar to the GX/GX+ except that they have more
onboard acceleration and more programmable dot clocks which allows them to
run at a wide variety of resolutions (640x480 is doable and 1600x1200 will
work on a TGX+).

The IPX is basically a single-slot GX in terms of speed and the number
of resolutions supported.  The LX onboard video is a TGX, with the
addition of the optional VSIMM it becomes a 2MB TGX+ (which can give you
the higher resolutions but without double-buffering).

-James