[SunRescue] Solaris >2.5.1 on 4/600MP & 4/330 Memory Boards

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Thu Sep 2 02:30:15 CDT 1999

> The last supported rev for sun4 was Solaris 2.4.  If this is fully patched
> it's actually not too bad, I ran it on my 4/330 with 40MB RAM for some
> time and it did very well.  An accelerated framebuffer helps a lot if you
> use it as a workstation.

I agree. 2.4 runs like a charm on 4/300 and 4/400 systems.

> To the original poster: by commenting out the halt after the iam_ss600
> check you can get Solaris 7 to boot on a 4/600 as well (as long as you
> don't have the original 40MHz Cypress CPU modules).  You need to add a few
> more links to the filesystem (in /platform, for example) if you want the
> system to actually recognize what it is.  You also will not have any VME
> support (though the memory expansion boards that communicate via the P2
> bus should still work as the mapping is done in hardware).

That sounds wonderful. Although, I'm a big fan of 2.6 myself so... :-)

What do you mean by the old Ross' CPU modules? From the webpage on
false.net it says clearly:
"It can be made to work but only if it is an MP system (not the older
CPU's)."

My memory reminds me of a discussion here some months ago about older
and newer revisions of the SM100 Ross CPU modules. The older ones (rev
7?) didn't support MP, but the newer ones (rev 8?) do. We currently have
a 4/600MP system with dual-SM100 rev8 CPU modules, runs SMP fine, so
should I rely on the text in that matter?
Although, the example on the webpage was a 4/600MP with dual-SM51's, so
that should be a good reason to rely on the fact that SM100's isn't
supported at all.
But then again, why should Sun drop support for CPU-modules?

> I haven't tried Solaris 8 beta, but I expect that the same thing will work
> when it comes to FCS.  The SS600 and the SS10 are so close that it doesn't
> make sense to rip out extra code to make the 600 unbootable.

I guess that makes sense in what people say that "the SS600 is
considered a rackmounted SS10"...

BTW, is there anyone out there with 4/330 Memory Boards leftover? You
know those small, 6U VME boards that couldn't be fit anywhere else?
Since the 4/330 is lacking VME-slots, I'd be happy to expand my 4/330
past the 32MB RAM.

	/Regards, Bjorn