[SunRescue] Pointer: Solaris >2.4 on 4/6xx, please

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Wed Sep 1 10:05:20 CDT 1999

> Hatle, Steve J. wrote:
>
> Could someone give me a pointer to a site or the directions on how to
> run Solaris greater than 2.4 on a 4/6xx? I know it's been discussed
> here, but a _very_ quick spin through the archive didn't turn it up.
> I'd like to be sure of what I'm doing before I start doing config
> surgery <grin>.

You can successfully run Solaris upto 2.5.1 on a sun4/600 system, since
it's based on the "sun4m" architecture.
However, sun4/300 and sun4/400 are just "sun4", so they're the ones
that's not (atleast officially) supported by Sun.
Sun eventually dropped any VME-support for sun4/600 with the 2.6-release
but some reports indicate that it's still possible with some fiddling.
Read all about it on the following URL:

http://false.net/iaq/solaris/600mp.html

Happy booting! :-)

	/Regards, Bjorn