Re(2): [SunRescue] CPU switching

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Fri Sep 17 14:27:53 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>It is not a ZIF-socket, more alike a MIF-socket (Maximum Insertion
>Force, IMO) or whatever others call - a usual "PGA-socket". Think of it
>like a ZIF socket without that pull-arm and just straight holes in it.
>The thing that bothers me is the fact that it could be some tin left on
>those pins and with such a low tolerance involved here, it could cause
>me more trouble.

Just for reference, the Intel 486 in a standard PGA socket required 60 lBs
of pressure (approx. 27.25 kG) to seat, and the original Pentium chip
required 100 lBs (approx 45.5 kG).  I would be afraid of tinned pins
causing certain pins to go easier than others, and actually breaking the
chip, or getting it partway in and not being able to move it in either
direction.  If you give it a shot, definitely do it with the motherboard
out of the case and firmly supported directly under the socket.

Tim

"The Microsoft Virtual Machine is no longer supported by Microsoft."
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/ie/ie45faq.htm
hmmm....