[SunRescue] CPU switching

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Fri Sep 17 04:36:34 CDT 1999

> Ugh, microsurgery with a backhoe.  I don't think I would try this.  Just
> how are you going to fit the chip in the socket after you torch it off?
> If it is a push in socket, good luck getting it in.  If it is a ZIF
> socket, you will probably make the socket unusable by the original chip.
> Those sockets have quite precise tolerances.  The other obvious question
> from one who has never seen inside an ss5 is "they soldered a pga chip
> on??" usually soldered processors are the type with flat horizontal pads,
> that won't fit in a socket.

It is not a ZIF-socket, more alike a MIF-socket (Maximum Insertion
Force, IMO) or whatever others call - a usual "PGA-socket". Think of it
like a ZIF socket without that pull-arm and just straight holes in it.
The thing that bothers me is the fact that it could be some tin left on
those pins and with such a low tolerance involved here, it could cause
me more trouble.
PGA's are to me like just any other PGA a'la Pentium I and 486
processors. (Pin Grid Array)
So practicly, why solder a CPU to the motherboard and not put it in a
socket? Ask Sun. :-)

> I'm not saying don't try it, just make sure all the involved pieces are
> disposable without loss of service or severe emotional damage.

It's that second thing you mentioned that could make me seriously doubt
me ever trying to pull this project off... Sounds risky, but in
fairness, why shouldn't it work anyway?
I don't care that much of the other motherboard, as long as I know the
CPU itself is intact.
Heck, I even consider lending this board out to a professional just to
get things right.

But, as James told me, the CPU itself could be fried. Sounds odd to me,
but hey...

	/Regards, Bjorn