Re(2): [SunRescue] The latest haul 8-)

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Thu Sep 16 15:48:11 CDT 1999

> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, Tim Hauber wrote:
>
> [impressive 690MP hauling feat deleted]
>
> > I also loaded up a Jetta with old PeeCee junk one time, I had 10 desktop
> > boxes, 3 DEC Terminals, 5 monitors, 100+ Video Cards, 54 loose 3.5 Hard
> > Drives, 27 Loose 3.5 Floppies, 50 + Network Cards, a huge wad of thinnet
> > cables and tees, several boxes of 30Pin Memory, a huge box of
> > miscellaneous ribbon cables, a box of 30 some Digicard adaptor boxes (for
> > sharing Apple ][ Disk drives) all while leaving enough room in the front
> > passenger seat for my pregnant wife.  And she DIDN'T COMPLAIN!!
>
> A real trooper.  Mine has since learned to be more critical,
> unfortunately.

They do tend to have a way of doing that, I suppose...Then again, I expect
she had a right to some complaint the time when I suggested we use the Qbus
chassiss as end tables until I found a better spot for them :)

> > By the way, Dave, my 690 is 220 volts only to all the internal chassis, at
> > least they are all labeled that way.  Maybe there are different voltage
> > versions, but unfortunately mine isn't one of them.
>
> It _will_ run off of 120.  If you tear off the Sun covers and look at the
> specs on the powersupplies themselves, they should all be universal input
> 100-240V.
>
> My hauling vehicle for a long time was an '86 Chevy Suburban.  Hauled a
> VAX 11/750 and two full 7' DEC racks back with that one with room to
> spare.

yep, that's a good choice...

> I currently use a 1978 Dodge Diplomat with no rear seat for a lot of heavy
> hauling.  With open space clear from the trunk to the front seats you can
> fit a heck of a lot in there.  On the lookout for a good crew-cab pickup
> truck or full-sized van, though.  Or maybe a nice '68 Coronet station
> wagon...  :)

:)

This of course brings to mind an all-to-familiar discussion of bandwidth
measurement and the throughput of a station wagon full of magtape :)

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer