[SunRescue] The latest haul 8-)

Bill Bradford mrbill at frenzy.com
Thu Sep 16 14:50:59 CDT 1999

On Thu, Sep 16, 1999 at 12:38:57PM -0600, Gregg Mackenzie wrote:
> > From: Bill Bradford <mrbill at frenzy.com
> > Okay, I know this isnt Sun stuff, but I cant pass up free equipment (and
> > I needed to bone up on AIX anyway).  Check out pictures of the latest
> > (and one of the biggest) equipment hauls I've made - three RS/6000
> > POWERservers, two IBM 3151 terminals w/keyboards, a 5081-16 Trinitron
> > monitor, keyboard, mouse, two boxes of manuals and O'Reilly X programming
> > guides, a 16-port serial port concentrator, external 1gig HD, and a BIG
> > box of used 8mm Exabyte tapes:
> So, are you gonna keep us in suspense, or are you gonna tell
> us the story about how you scored all this booty for free?

Two years ago, I worked for texas.net, a local ISP.  During the course of my
employement there, I spent a couple of days helping a customer get BIND 8
working on his AIX box.

He recently posted to austin.forsale that he had some ORA X programming books and some AIX 3.5 manuals for free, just come haul them off.  I responded to
the ad, told him I'd take them.  He said "YOu still need any RS/6000 RAM?
We just retired 3 boxes."  I told him "I'll take any old computer stuff
you've got that you want to get rid of" - and the rest is history.

Took me about an hour to load everything up, took me about 30 minutes to unload.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford * mrbill at sunhelp.org * http://www.sunhelp.org
>From a Sun Microsystems bug report (#4102680):
"Workaround: don't pound on the mouse like a wild monkey."