[SunRescue] The latest haul 8-)

Gregg Mackenzie gmackenz at ball.com
Thu Sep 16 13:40:26 CDT 1999

> From: "Bjrn Ramqvist" <brt at osk.sema.se>
>
> (I've always hated AIX for some reason, plus HP-UX, but that's another
> story...)

Probably 'cuz AIX was built by ex-mainframers, most of whom
begrudgingly learned unix because they had to, and the
mainframe-iness shows in things like the SMIT interface and
the fact that AIX forces you to use a journaling filesystem,
regardless of whether you want to or not.  I can see where
it'd be kinda hard to put your finger on just what the heck
it is that bugs you about AIX unless you've ever used an IBM
mainframe or mid-range.  It's a pretty solid OS, but I found
all the subtle little mainframe-ey quirks to be really annoying.

When I worked at IBM a little while ago, we took some PC 300s
(their Intel-based PC) and got Solaris x86 running on them to
support a somewhat key customer support function.  Then we
took tacky little paper Sun logos and taped them haphazardly
over the IBM logos so that you could still see the IBM logo
peeking out from behind the Sun logo.  FAIK, they're still
there.  Cheap thrills, great fun!

Gregg Mackenzie
gmackenz at ball.com