[SunRescue] HOW useful 690/MP

Kent Rankin srao at usit.net
Tue Sep 14 21:22:32 CDT 1999

>On Tue, Sep 14, 1999 at 01:30:29AM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>   Didn't Convex make a bunch of big multiprocessor 68k machines?
>
>I dunno; I only know the C and SPP line from Convex, and neither appears to
be
>68k based.  However, Alliant had a very odd (but very nice) design that had
>multiple 68020 front-end CPUs with their own vector processors on the
back-end.

    They did.  This was quite some time ago(ie. mid-eighties, or so).  I
don't recall the model lines, though.

    I actually was setting up an SPP-1000 a few weeks ago for a friend, if
it brings back any memories.

    The same friend is getting ready to buy an 8-Hypernode(ie. 64-PE)
SPP-2000.  =)

    Motorola did make a 64-processor 680x0 machine.  I worked on one out in
Utah around 1994.  I was just trying to remember some specs on the machine
the other day.
Mind you, the machine used a VME-bus, too.  =)

                                                -Kent Rankin