Re(2): Re(2): [SunRescue] HOW useful 690/MP

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Sep 13 15:12:21 CDT 1999

On Mon, 13 Sep 1999, Tim Hauber wrote:
>Mine seems to require 220 to all the pieces, at least it looks that way,
>the power dist. unit has 220 outputs to all the pieces, and I don't see
>voltage switches on any of the power ins.  I will look closer, because if
>it will run on 110 it will come to life tonight.

  I'll stop by my company's other building later tonight and double-check...we
have a few of those chassis running there.  One of them has five 4/600 boards
running in it...now *that's* a lot of firepower. :)

  I suspect the power supplies may be auto-switching...the design is more than
new enough for that.

>  Of course, I did steal
>48 of the 256M of ram to fill up my IPC.  Are Sun memory boards jumpered
>or auto config?

  If you hold the board vertically there are two vertical columns of SIMM
sockets...any vertical column must be completely filled with the same kind of
SIMMs.  They take 1, 4, and 16mb SIMMs.  I don't recall any memory-related
jumpers or switches on the CPU board, but the 9U VME memory expansion
board does have jumpers for SIMM size.

  I was about to say something derogatory, but then I noticed that you had
lifted some of the ram for your IPC, not your PC. ;)

                     -Dave McGuire