[SunRescue] Seagate ST32550N electronics failure

Dr. Snock snock at solderjoint.dhs.org
Fri Sep 10 10:33:34 CDT 1999

Bjrn Ramqvist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have 4 x lovely 2GB Barracudas available, with their electronics
> smashed. The HDA seems fine though (heads, coil, platters and motor) but
> the component boards seems wacked.
> I tried switching around along all 4 drives with a working one, so it's
> nothing wrong with the HDA itself, just the electronics.
>
> Does anyone here have one or more broken (ie Bad Sectors, motor failure)
> ST32550N to spare? Just the electronics is needed.

Hmm, you might just try shipping them back to Seagate for replacement.  At
hamfests (radio/electronic/computer flea markets here in the States) I buy
known bad SCSI harddisks for around $5 a piece usually and just send them
back since they are under warranty for a few years yet.  As a matter of
fact I've shipped back 2 of the same type of drives you have just a couple
of months ago and recieved back two perfectly working drives.  Don't worry
about the drive being beaten up.  I've also shipped back drives I dug from
the bottom of dumpsters that must have been in there for a week laying in a
puddle of water with rusted screws and cracked housings.  The company
joyously sends you a new one. ;)