[SunRescue] Pointer: Solaris >2.4 on 4/110 4/260

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Wed Sep 1 13:42:02 CDT 1999

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, BSD Bob wrote:

> While on the topic of old solaris distributions on old sun hardware
> (neat topic, right?), what is the last supported version of solaris
> for sun4 hardware, particularly the 4/110, and 4/260 machines?
>
> Currently I am running an old SunOS 4.1 on them, but, I was curious
> as to how far they were carried along after that.

The last supported rev for sun4 was Solaris 2.4.  If this is fully patched
it's actually not too bad, I ran it on my 4/330 with 40MB RAM for some
time and it did very well.  An accelerated framebuffer helps a lot if you
use it as a workstation.

To the original poster: by commenting out the halt after the iam_ss600
check you can get Solaris 7 to boot on a 4/600 as well (as long as you
don't have the original 40MHz Cypress CPU modules).  You need to add a few
more links to the filesystem (in /platform, for example) if you want the
system to actually recognize what it is.  You also will not have any VME
support (though the memory expansion boards that communicate via the P2
bus should still work as the mapping is done in hardware).

I haven't tried Solaris 8 beta, but I expect that the same thing will work
when it comes to FCS.  The SS600 and the SS10 are so close that it doesn't
make sense to rip out extra code to make the 600 unbootable.

-James