[SunRescue] What older sun can use these parts?

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Mon Nov 29 13:29:34 CST 1999

The ANS has a 604 150 MHz, but I'm not concerned with absolute power --
I'll probably use it to get back teaching myself Perl and Apache/Solaris
configuration options. And I'm comfortable with my Wyse 60, so I don't
need to have to drag X around with me.

As far as money goes, definitely under $1000 (I've got wisdom teeth that
need getting out). The SS5 option with an added SCSI card is starting to
look good, but if I could expect to get a SS20 with a 'starter'
processor, no video card, 64MB of RAM, a 1GB HD and a F-W SCSI-2 card
for under $1000 ... is that unrealistic?

> Finally, you might want to consider systems where you can't reuse your
RAM
> as well.  Any Sun you get will be able to use your SCSI peripherals
either
> natively or with a cheap card in the case of the Ultra 5/10.  Since
it's
> only 64MB of RAM, you may find it better to go with a different system
if
> your price range is outside what it would take to build a decent SS5.
How
> much are you looking to spend?

---
David Rouse