[SunRescue] What older sun can use these parts?

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Mon Nov 29 13:05:08 CST 1999

 > > * Is there an older Sun box that uses 168 pin parity DIMMS and
would
> > have a Fast/Wide SCSI II external port?
>
> I don't know about the ram, but SCSI should be easy enough to handle.
My
> SS20 has Fast SCSI-2, IIRC, so I'd expect one of the low end ultras to
have
> Fast/Wide SCSI-2, although you could easily run those drives narrow,
if
> bus-width isn't a concern.

I was looking at the SS5, as it looks like the RAM is the same. What
would I expect to pay for an sbus Fast/Wide SCSI-2 card and how would
that compare against a SS20 in terms of prive v. performance? I'm
assuming I won't be able to afford SMP (or an Ultra 1, unless I can get
a somewhat stripped one at a really good price).

---
David Rouse
Network Manager
Goldsboro News-Argus