[SunRescue] What older sun can use these parts?

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Mon Nov 29 09:52:55 CST 1999

I've got a five-year-old mixed Apple/AIX box (Apple Network Server) at
home and I'd rather have a sun box, since that's what I've become
familiar with from work. I'd also like to cannibalize parts from the AIX
machine, so as to keep my cross-grade costs as low as possible.

The AIX box has five 4GB Fast/Wide SCSI II drives (IBM and Seagate
Barracudas), an Apple 600i CD-ROM drive, an HP DDS2 tape drive and 64MB
of 60 nano 168 pin parity DIMMS.

What I'm thinking is getting a sun box that would have just an internal
drive (for the OS) and framer buffer and then get my drives plugged in
as external drives. So...

* Is there an older Sun box that uses 168 pin parity DIMMS and would
have a Fast/Wide SCSI II external port?

* Could I get those drives to work in Sun external enclosures (CD and
tape included)?

---
David Rouse
Network Manager