Serial rates on the IPX (Was: Re: [SunRescue] Secondary Ethernet for IPX)

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 23 22:58:41 CST 1999

On Tue, 23 Nov 1999, Kris Kirby wrote:

> Speaking of IPXes, what is the serial chip good for as far as rates go?
> I'm only able to use it for 38400 bps (the closest PC-like speed) and
> slower.

It can go to 38400bps in async mode (the UART is in an embedded Z8530).
Recent releases of Solaris also support 76800bps, but this speed is not
supported on many devices and the IPX may be marginal at this speed.

The IPX should be able to support up to nearly 1 megabit in synchronous
(externally clocked) mode.

-James