[SunRescue] List policies - sunrescue

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Fri Nov 19 11:16:39 CST 1999

> Hi Bill,
>
> Maybe some sort of suggestions for trading on the list is in order. My
> suggestions are as follows. Implement them in the FAQ or whatever you
> desire.
>
> 1) Only use shippers with online package tracking. So far I know this
> includes UPS, USPS parcel post, Fedex. Others...?

USPS tracking only on Priority & Express mail, if I recall, and it lags by at least a
day plus last I checked.

Other shippers with online tracking include Airborne Express, DHL, RPS, and
Emery Worldwide.  Granted, these meet some niche needs more so than your
average shipment, but they do all offer online package tracking.

> 2) receiver gets email of tracking number immediately upon shipment.
>
> 3) All shipments insured for actual price of goods.
>
> 4) Payment should be in money order.

Another attractive option sometimes is Western Union, especially if you're
dealing with international transactions.  I handle payment for an HP
workstation I sold to a guy in France this way, they handled the currency
exchange for him and proved to be quite convenient.  Bank cashier's checks
are usually a safe option as well, but be prepared to wait for an
international check to clear, banks tend to take their good time in dealing
with that form of payment.

I suppose traveler's checks is always another option, but I've yet to deal
that way.

Or, for more options (like credit card and wire transfer), check my comment
further down.

> 5) Be more cautious for large orders, or orders from people who aren't
> active on the list. Don't be afraid to ask orderer for references, and do
> check them.
>
> 6) Sellers be extremely descriptive, giving exact condition of item, part
> number and hyperlink to manufacturer's description when available, and the
> extent to which the item has been tested and is warranteed. If item is
> over 10 lbs., list the weight in the item description.

Always good policies, they've served me well over the years...Probably close
to 100 online transactions in 5 years, and I haven't been stiffed once
yet...

> With any luck, we can have a better community here and keep sunhelp from
> turning into Ebay!

<PITCH MODE="on">

Of course, there's always the auctions.workstations.org option.  This
service was established with just such concerns in mind, and with the
thought of being a better service then eBay for those of us in this hobby
and biz.

If you haven't had a chance to give it try, you can find out more at:

http://auctions.workstations.org

ComAuction (www.comauction.com).  ComAuction features totally protected
transactions, using an escrow-type system (but no third party involved, liek
with the eBay/iEscrow combination), with all of the money transactions
managed by Merryl Lynch.  No anonymous bidders or sellers, modest 5%
transaction fee paid by the seller only on completed transactions, and the
option to auction or flat-rate sell your item.  No fee for joining either.

And because it's backed by ComAuction and their partnership with Merryl
Lynch, you get a wide range of payment options for buyers, including credit
cards and wire transfers, two more appealing options for both international
and domestic buyers alike.

</PITCH MODE>

Maybe somebody should write all this up FAQ-style, and give it to Bill for
posting on sunhelp?  You know, a "How to buy and sell your gear" type thing?
I know that when I designed the page layout at auctions.workstations.org,
one of the things that I wanted right on the front page where everyone could
see it were some of the resources that I use to make sure I have all my
facts straight on what's what with any hardware I'm selling or buying.
That's something that would be great in a FAQ as well.

Chris

--
Chris Petersen
Systems Engineer, Co-Founder of auctions.workstations.org
Email:  havoc at apk.net
http://auctions.workstations.org       When "Wintel" just won't cut it!