[SunRescue] ufsrestore problem

Lyndon Griffin lgriffin at bsd4us.org
Wed Nov 17 02:17:20 CST 1999

Please, please help...  maybe I'm just inexperienced, or maybe just stupid.
I'll go along with either at this point.  My problem:

The old sysadmin used to make backups of Solaris 2.5.1 machines using ufsdump.
 I have determined that he was putting several filesystems on a single tape,
however is that something of a paradox?  Since ufsdump can only do a single
filesystem at a time, the sysadmin used the non-rewinding tape driver to
continue and fill the tape.  I cannot find an option in ufsrestore that will
let me move to subsequent dumps on the same tape, but I'm quite sure that the
files are there (that is, I'm sure that he dumped several times to the same
tape without rewinding).  man ufsrestore/ufsdump is no roadmap in this area, nor
is anything I could find on rmt.

I feel like the answer is just on the tip of my frontal lobe, but I cannot seem
to materialize the thought.  Any help is much appreciated.

<:)  Lyndon