[SunRescue] What older sun can use these parts?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Nov 29 17:29:23 CST 1999

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 apotter at icsa.net wrote:

> drouse at arlington.newsargus.com said:
> >  if I could expect to get a SS20 with a 'starter'  processor, no video
> > card, 64MB of RAM, a 1GB HD and a F-W SCSI-2 card  for under $1000 ...
> > is that unrealistic?
>
> If so, then not by much....
>
> Call Chris Patterson at MCE.com:	408-733-4400
> If I remember correctly, his base 20s are $250.

This is pretty good.  The cheapest processors are probably SM50's from
MemoryX at $60/ea, one of these will perform comparably to a 110MHz SS5.

You can slightly beat the price of a SS20 with a SS5, but if you ever want
to expand it the 20 is better (more CPU's, more RAM, more sbus slots,
potential for fast 24bpp video).

> Keep in mind that compatible 4.5 gig drives (Fujitsus) are at compgeeks.com
> for about $120, they do NOT include the mounting bracket you will need.

Yes, though if the original poster already has drives they could easily be
used to boot off of.  1GB SCA drives are practically free these days, and
the brackets aren't too expensive.

You could probably get everything minus the F-W card for $450-500, even
less if you shop around.  I would just run off of the narrow SCSI adaptor
for now if money is tight, you will probably not saturate the SCSI bus
with only 2 drives in typical use.

-James