[SunRescue] MP3s

Shawn Boyette mdxi at collapsar.cx
Mon Nov 22 14:28:45 CST 1999

Martin Frost writes:
 > James Lockwood wrote:
 >
 > > The LX goes up to 48KHz 16 bit stereo.  It plays MP3's quite well.  Both
 > > use the same CPU, a 50MHz microSPARC-I.
 >
 > Hmmmm. A microSPARC-I is roughly 486-class, yes? Does this mean that
 > a 486/66 should be able to do this (assuming a real OS and not much
 > else going on)?

Back when my main Linux box was a 486/120, it could play MP3s smoothly
if nothing (and I mean *nothing*) else was going on. Of course this
was back in the days of the 1.2.13 kernel.

If I were going to try this, I'd build a stripped-down kernel with
audio compiled in and then do as you were suggesting. The P90 I'm on
plays MP3s perfectly but xmms consumes about 80% of CPU time (thank
god this is a SMP box!)

Shawn Boyette  -- Programmer, Student --  mdxi at collapsar.cx
"I have no culture, no humane harmony in my brains. I can't
live without a culture anymore."           -- Kurt Vonnegut