[SunRescue] Re: Looking for early sun cdrom drive for sun3+sun4 machines

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Mon Nov 22 02:42:09 CST 1999

Hi Bob!

>Anyone got a spare EARLY MACHINE COMPATIBLE sun cdrom of some sort?

No need! I've made good experiences with Plextor drives.
12Plex and 12/20Plex definately work and even the 32Plex and
UltraPlex (40) do have the "block"-jumper to switch to 512 byte
blocks.

>At this point, I don't care how slow, old, ugly, it is or whether it uses
>caddies or not.  I don't even need a case for it...

I have a couple of Toshiba 2x drives, raw, without chassis and even without
a hull! These beasties work ok on a 3/80 and so i assume they'd do on a
sun4, but on a 3/60 i need to press the start button twice at the right
moment to boot ;-)

Ah: These are Toshiba 3401 i think. Sun sold these drives with another
firmware. A Sony CDU 541 should work too.

Tschuess

Peter