[SunRescue] SunOS greater than 2.5 on MP670?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Nov 15 15:59:32 CST 1999

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Max Trefonides wrote:

> Hi, I heard somewhere that it was possible to run a more modern OS on my
> MP670, does anyone know how to do this?  I would like to run Solaris 7,
> but there's that old adage of people wanting ice water ...  Is this
> possible, or was I misunderstanding?

Support for the 4/600 officially ended at Solaris 2.5.1.  You can run 2.6
or 7 (and even Solaris 8 beta), but there are some limitations:

  The SM100 modules will not work.  It's SuperSparc/HyperSparc only.
  The VME bus will not work.  It's sbus only for expansion.
  It's totally and completely unsupported.

Use adb to comment out the halt after the call to iam_ss600 in the kernel
startup routine.  More details are available in the list archives or via
Dejanews.

-James