[SunRescue] Anyone know anything about a Tadpole SparcBook 2? ????

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:59:34 CST 1999

> I did.  I know I did.  I've spent hours beating windows into
> submission, because there aren't any useable mailers for any other
> OS.  GRRR!  I'll try sending this from the closest thing to a useable
> mailer that *NIX has, Nutscrape.  Anyway, I was asking if it was a
> DB36 connector, or some other form factor.  Thanks,

Ahh, yes..... that explains it.....(:+{{...  Scraping webs, beating nuts,
and getting funny charactersets into submission.....  My mailer can handle
most of them, but there are two or three a day that it does not like for
that funky characterset thingie.

Anyway, the SparcBook has a tiny little scsi bus connector on the back of
the laptop that seems to count close to 34 or 36 pins rather than 50 pins,
but it is designed like a regular dual inline pin header scsi connector.
It is kindof like the one on the back of an IPX, but fewer pins.   I sense
it was something strange for the occasion.   The fellow I got the thing
from said it was a little strange in that regard and suggested trying to
somehow netboot it off another machine's cdrom.  I, being the garage
mechanic type got to thinking that surely has to be just a cable thing,
and the CDROM to boot off of should be nothing strange.  I notice from
the Tadpole website that the next generation  ``Ultrabook'' version has
apparently a regular sort of scsiwide connector on the back.

What I need specifically are some insights into either netbooting the
Sparcbook or building/finding the right cdrom scsi cable.  Any insights
or pointers thereto are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob