[SunRescue] Anyone know anything about a Tadpole SparcBook 2?????

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 10 08:53:48 CST 1999

I just got dumped a Tadpole SparcBook 2 critter, by a friend, that seems to
have 32M ram and a 350mb hd.  It boots as far as the boot prom trying to
find a kernel, but it can't find vmunix (probably rm -fr'd away).  I do
have the Solaris 1.0.1 B.1 cd for it, but no cdrom or cable to hook it up
(takes a small strange 36 pin scsi cable).

Anyone have any pointers to information on a Tadpole SparcBook 2?

Anyone have any ideas of how to load a Solaris on it?  It seems to have
the rudimentary netbooting capability in prom.  My local machines with CD's
are either a FreeBSD box, or a VAX/NetBSD box, or a DECstation/NetBSD box,
or possibly an OpenBSD Sparc IPX or SS1.

Anyone know if the scsi cable is a standard thing or something ``strange''?
If I could come up with a cable, and it would work with a DEC RRD42(sony)
cdrom drive, that might be a possibility.

Is there a website for Tadpole, still?  The cd says Austin, TX, for their
US headquarters, or the UK.

Any insights, suggestions, horror stories, etc., appreciated.

Thanks

Bob