[SunRescue] Audio Connector

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Tue Nov 9 13:05:24 CST 1999

On Tue, 9 Nov 1999, Matthew Haas wrote:

> Is this just a standard one-for-all speakerbox? Or is there a special
> version for the SS-10, one for LX, one for SS-20, etc.? And where would
> such a beast plug in? Through the audio port on the auxiliary port?

Only one type, and it plugs into the SS10 and LX through the 26-pin high
density AUI/audio port.  If anyone knows a source for these connectors I'd
love to hear about it.

> From what I've seen, this looks like a singular speaker... does/can it
> still do stereo? Can an additional speaker be connected to it?

man audioamd for details.  It only supports "telephone quality" (8KHz
8-bit mono) audio.  Either mu-law or a-law encoding, linear is not
supported.

> So I'm assuming that the 'speakerbox' can be used for all eligible
> systems. The only reason I ask is that whenever I've seen reference to the
> speakerbox is speaks solely of the SS10, in fact in one of my manuals
> (Desktop SPARC, which covers both LX and SS10), it says that the
> speakerbox is for use with the SS10. (I have an LX)

It was only rarely used for the LX, but it does work.

> DBRI support does not work too well. AMD7930 is a small step better.
>
> I believe the CS4215 support is among the best supported sound systems for
> SPARClinux.

CS4215 _is_ the audio output of DBRI.  Are you sure you don't mean CS4231?
This is used in the SS4/SS5/Ultra line.

BTW, anyone got a spare SS4 audio card?

-James