[SunRescue] RE: Monitors

Earl Baugh earl at baugh.org
Mon Nov 1 13:29:29 CST 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>Hi,
>
>    I have seen some messages about using a convertor from 13W3 to HD15
>to use a PC monitor on a Sun. My question is will it go the other way
>around, and allow me to use a Sun monitor on a PC.
>
>Thanks
>
>Keith

I've actually got a configuration like this working right now,
but I used an adapter I obtained from Access Development Corp.
It works fine, but the adapters only work with particular models
of Sun monitor...for example, the adapter I have works on the 17in and
20in Sun monitors I have just fine.  There are some additional issues
for some models as well...for example, on the 17in use, it doesn't
function in "basic text" mode (i.e. I can't read the boot up text...
I have to wait for the PC to load xdm [it's a PC running Solaris 2.7])
The 20in works just fine in all modes (but I tend to leave it connected
to the SS10..) I've got another 4 in monitor I use when I need to work
on the Bios, etc.

I can dig up the catalog later if you need info.  Another company
I have a catalog for here, is www.ultraspec.com (they seem to have
similar adapters..they actually may be the same company as I listed
above...it looks like the catalog has the same products...)

Earl