[SunRescue] What should I look for?

Paolo Di Francesco paipai at tin.it
Thu Jun 3 17:14:43 CDT 1999

> Agreed, IDE sucks.  But with Symbios dual-channel UW SCSI cards in the
> sub-$100 range (and fully supported by OBP) this shouldn't be a stumbling
> block.

Anyone tried the Tekram 390? It's an U2W controller and I would kwnow if
it's supported by AXi.

> Sun is going to PCI, it's as simple as that.  It offers typically higher
> speed than sbus (33MHz 32-bit vs 25MHz 32-bit) as well as maximum higher
> speed (66MHz 64-bit vs 25MHz 64-bit).  There are large benefits to being
> able to use commodity PCI cards, and driver support is growing (although
> slowly).  Sun will not release another sbus machine in the future.
>
> If you're a real power-user on the cheap then you should probably get an
> AXi or similar: basically an Ultra 5/10 motherboard but with 6 PCI slots,
> a UPA64S slot, dual UW SCSI built in, no audio, and ATX form factor.

I have an AXi. Great piece of hardware... 8)

> They're in the sub-$1500 range with CPU now as well (www.memoryx.com).
> Sure, you've got to build your own, but I expect that isn't a big problem
> for most of the people here.

It was not a big problem... Hum... maybe the I/O shield is a real
problem I have mounted the motherboard with no I/O shield. It's not
standard (hey anyone have seen a "standard" I/O shield??? )

Ciao Ciao
       Paolo Di Francesco
   _
 ->B<-   All Recycled Bytes Message ...