[SunRescue] PTI SCSI differential controller

Jerome Feuillade jfeuillade at isdnet.net
Thu Jun 3 10:42:22 CDT 1999

    Bjrn> Jerome Feuillade wrote:
    >>  Hello Folks,
    >>
    >> We're a planning to buy a sbus scsi differential controller for
    >> a backup solution running on our 'old' SS10 or SS20. I've found
    >> a product from Performance technologies, Inc, the
    >> PT-SBS440A. It is a fast wide scsi sbus controller.
    >>
    Bjrn> When I think of it, isn't there a jumper or some kind of
    Bjrn> strapping on your DLT-drive to "convert" it to standard
    Bjrn> single-ended SCSI? That should really put you in a cheaper
    Bjrn> position, since single-ended controllers are easy to buy
    Bjrn> these days.  Ofcourse the DLT7000 is a Wide-SCSI drive, so
    Bjrn> you need a Wide-controller together with
    Bjrn> that. (High-performing tapedrive) You could run it on a
    Bjrn> narrow-SCSI controller, but I fear you might loose some
    Bjrn> performance that way.  (someone please fill in?)

I don't exactly know, we have here a 4700 with no jumper and
haven't receveid the 7000s yet. The backup robot (it's a robot
not only a DLT, build with at least 2 DTL7000, upgradable to 4)
is using differential SCSI. I believe it is better to use
differential, it enable us to have the robot far away (in a
different room for example) from the sparc running the backup
software.

In fact the PT-SBS440A is a fast wide SCSI card:

http://www.illimite.com/pti/html/sbs_440_a.html

Thank's for the infos.

Bye
--
------------- Think different, Think UNIX -------------
Jerome Feuillade          E-mail: jfeuillade at isdnet.net
tel: (33).1.53.74.63.42   ISDnet Sys Adm