[SunRescue] Sparc4 and Sparc5

joshua grubman jg at false.net
Tue Jun 1 10:53:34 CDT 1999

> I would like to know if a framebuffer in a sparc4 can be used in a
> sparc5?  I have yet to know what framebuffer exactly, however are there
> any fundemental differences between these two architectures?

the ss4 has a single sbus slot, the ss5 has three. both machines have an
afx framebuffer connector. the ss4 is a cost (and feature) reduced version
of the ss5.

if the card is plugged into the sbus connector, it's presumably a tgx, and
will definitely work in another sbus-based machine.

the 8 bit tcx (afx bus) framebuffer found in the ss4 will work fine on the
ss5. i'm not sure if the s24 tcx card from the ss5 will work on an ss4. i
see no reason why it wouldn't.

-j

---
joshua grubman
http://false.net
http://sarcastic.net
"note to self, no one cares, your voice is average"