[SunRescue] Re(2): [SunRescue] IPX

Tim Hauber Tim_Hauber at STEV.net
Fri Jun 11 10:15:27 CDT 1999

rescue at sunhelp.org,Internet writes:
>Hi,
>
>It is a 4x72pin model.  Can I use normal PC ram, or perhaps some
>Cisco/Kingston RAM?

Normal Parity Ram, at least (most?) 80 ns works fine, it goes in slot 1
and 3 or 2 and 4, I forget which one, but it is a staggered sequence.

>>It depends on how the PROM is setup.  Have you tried putting
>>a terminal on serial A and seeing what that says?
>>Stuart
>
>No, because I don't have a DIN connector for it.  Anyone have a URL for
>the pinout?  I have a VT100 terminal with a DB-25 that I could use.  I
>have a MacIntosh DIN-to-DB-25, but I am weary of trying it...

There are two Mac cables, one will work fine, the other needs a Null
Modem.  I would plug it in and see if it worked, then if it didn't I would
stick a null modem in.

>{for the following, please excuse my lack of knowledge for the actual
>terminology}
>I also noticed that the IPX has a large connector on the back (it has no
>"logo" on it or around it).  It seems to be in one of the 2 "bays" which
>I assume in the SUN world is SBus or something.  In any case, this
>connector is maybe 3 inches long, double-rowed, male, and looks like a
>huge SCSI connector; however, there is the normal HD68 SCSI connector on
>the bottom left, so I don't know what it is.  I don't find any 501-xxxx
>numbers on it, however it reads "UFO-SERIAL" and has CirrusLogic chips
>on it.

Those two "bays" are indeed SBus slots, I have no idea what the card is,
unless you have a UFO handy to plug it in.  I understand they have one in
Roswell New Mexico. :-)

>Lastly, also with this unit came some sort of tape-drive in a beautiful
>Sun 411 external case.  The tape says it has a 320mb capacity, 620ft.
>The tape that fits in the unit is about 7 inches by 4 inches.  Any
>ideas?  Is this the famous 8MM tape?
>
>Chris

"Proximity to wonder has blunted our perception and appreciation of it"
--Tim Hartnell in 'Exploring ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE on your Commodore 64'