[SunRescue] Resurrecting 3/160 with dead HD

Robert D. Keys bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 10 11:27:15 CDT 1999

> Given the HD in my 3/160 is dead can anyone point me in the right direction
> to get the below item working by remote booting the OS from the sparc 1 + I
> have on the same piece of ethernet.

What drives/tapes/controllers do you have in your system currently?
That can make a big difference in making it run, in my hands.

I have not tried any remote boots.  I always write tapes.  My home
net is always in indeterminate state and never on the internet.

Do you have a system that can write a tape on the Sparc 1?  I hung an
outboard shoebox on mine with a 60mb scsi tape to write my tapes.

To bring up your 3/160, all you really need is one tape, and it should
have  a tape drive in the top bay of the deskside case (assuming you
have an original configuration still).  The first tape has everything
to do a miniinstall of binaries.  From that first tape, you can then
ftp anywhere else for the rest of the tarballs and rewrite the second
tape or install manually from the tarballs.  It is also possible to
write a 1000 foot 9 track cartridge (DC6250ish thing) and put the
whole system on one tape, using the DC6150 xdrtoc file.  With a
binary editor, you could probably do that also for the 5 tape sunos
3.5 set.

If anyone has the info on properly netbooting a 3/160 into sunos-4.1.1,
holler it back to the list for general info.  I should probably try
that sometime.

Bob Keys