[SunRescue] SS20 (??) is it really?

Chris Conn cconn at abacom.com
Thu Jul 29 20:27:48 CDT 1999

> It's a SS20.  The POST version message means that the code was used in
> both the Sparc 10 and 20 in both uniprocessor and multiprocessor (UP/MP)
> modes.
>
> You have a single mbus module installed in the lower mbus slot with 1 CPU
> on it.  It's got 1MB e-cache and has a rev 3 cache controller, so it's
> most likely an SM61 module.  When it finishes POST, send a break over your
> serial connection and type "module-info".  This will tell you what your
> CPU is.

Thanks for the info.  I am relieved =)

What is faster in terms of CPU power; my other SPARC is a SS4 110Mhz.
This one would be 60Mhz?  Are they comparable architectures, or does one
have an advantage?

I knew ahead of time that this machine was MP capable, how difficult is it
to find more Mbus processors?  Do they have to be the same?  Also, I
noticed that this machine uses a weird SCSI connector (SCA I think its
called).  Are there any HDs I can buy that can be used on this machine or
do they have to be SUN-manufactured?  I guess i could use an external
arrangement, but have no knowledge of how the machine behaves with no disk
inside.

So many questions.  I know again what being a newbie is.

Thanks again,

Chris