[SunRescue] US ftp repository for Sun3 archives? Where?[D

Nick Richardson nrichard at chem.wayne.edu
Fri Jul 23 17:34:17 CDT 1999

>Speaking of old Suns......(:+}}.... a topic we all like....
>
>I ran across a couple of 2 buck cdrom drives today in surplus.
>
>1) an Apple cd thing in a flat grey apple box about 8 inches square
>   and 3 inches thick.
>
>2) a DEC cd thing about the same size, probably from DECstation 2100's
>   or such.
>
>Anyone know if those kinds of scsi CDROM drives will work on a Sun 3
>or a Sun 4 or an early Sparcstation or IPX?

<snip>

>Bob Keys

Just to add a few experiences I've had with CDROM drives on early
Sparcstations and IPX systems.  It seems to be important what version of
Solaris you're running for some drives. I have an older scsi drive which I
know isn't 512k, but it works great under Solaris 2.6 and 7 (was able to
boot both of them on a Sparc2 and IPX), but wont touch the 2.5.1 disk I
have, and on the Sparc2 with Solaris 2.5.1 it wont mount any disks.

The DEC CDROM drive may work, as I've just hooked up a DEC RRD40 to the
Sparc2 and after a boot -r it's working fine, and I'm almost certain that
this is a 512k drive.. The only thing to be aware of with some DEC drives
is the load mechanism. The RRD40 uses an unusual thin caddy which you push
into the drive, then pull out leaving the CD behind, and the reverse to
remove the drive.

Hope this helps

Nick Richardson
Wayne State University