[SunRescue] US ftp repository for Sun3 archives? Where?[D

Michael C. Vergallen mvergall at double-barrel.be
Sat Jul 24 04:34:54 CDT 1999

On Sat, 24 Jul 1999, Kent Rankin wrote:

> identify
> >>

> >>     I may entirely erroneous on this one, but the Bull's that I know to
> be
> >> most common are AS/400 clones.
> >Kent,
> >
> >I think you are wrong Bull did produce pc's for a while...Aldo Bull never
> >realy succeeded in having a market share as oposed to their MainFrame
> >Branch who was quite successfull for a time...However they did not make
> >as/400 closes at least not in europe...They had some Unix Midi machines
> >that looked like a pc... however I'm not shure anymore because last time I
> >used a Bull at work was in the early 80's...
>

>     See, I was correct in at least one thing!  That little "I could be
> wrong" statement does come to prove it's worth when you are proved to be so.
> =)
>
>     Anyhow, the AS/400 wasn't even around before 1988(when IBM's System/36
> was given a sibling), so that might have something to do with your lack of
> exposure on that line.
True ...when I moved jobs from 1989 to 1991 I had to  to port a S/36
app to AS/400..but most things had to be totally redone because the
designer of the app was allready retired..so we where stuck on a design
that was never documented at all...like it allways was in those days.Or
the design specs didn't match reality...

>     I do seem to recall that they have produced numerous product
> lines(tempted to say an RS/6k machine as well lies in my past).  My main
> reason for recollection on the AS/400 bit is that I almost decommissioned a
> *VERY* large one the other day, but instead decided to not pick up another
> large AS/400 until I sold my current six-rack AS/400(afterall, one 7000 lb
> setup is enough for a platform you don't usually sell<grin>).
Don't talk to me about AS/400's and RPG.. I had enough fun with them..

Michael