[SunRescue] SS2 Problems

BuzzBomb buzzbomb at netunlimited.net
Thu Jul 22 00:04:48 CDT 1999

Ok.  I've been lurking for awhile, but now I need a little bit of help.
I have a Sun SparcStation 2 that I've had for awhile (and never used)
and it seems to me that the built-in ethernet is fried.  :(  I know
PC hardware quite well, but don't have much experience with the Sparc
hardware.  When I turn the machine on, first of all, it tells me:

[...]
Ethernet address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff, Host ID: ffffffff.

IDPROM contents are invalid.

--

Is this bad?  It proceeds to test the memory in the machine and probe
the bus...finally, it tries to boot from the network and I get this

[...]
Boot device: /sbus/le at 0,c0000   File and args:
Internal loopback test --
Did not receive expected loopback packet.
Can't open boot device.  (Ok...I know what THIS means.  ;)

--

Now, the box has the standard AUI port with no transceiver connected to
it.  (FYI: I get the same response with a transceiver connected.)  Can

Ken
buzzbomb at netunlimited.net