[SunRescue] Sun mouse upgrades, or, cheap thrills with a soldering iron

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Wed Jul 14 16:43:57 CDT 1999

On Wed, 14 Jul 1999, Michael C. Vergallen wrote:

> Yes right but eh I don't have the space for the real big iron at the
> moment...when the house gets to mutch for my parrents I may trade my city
> flat for the house with then and then yes ... but at the moment I can't
> store a S/370 or a S/34 ( I want a S/34 or S/36 someday )  becuase I the
> first computer I worked on was a S/34...Back when XT's where used as
> terminals by IBM in 1980 or 1981. BTW the  AS/400 that was used at a place
> I used to work took up a full airconditioned room with all the discs and
> terminal connectors etc. So the one I'm thinking off is kind of big.

The small AS/400's are the size of tower PC's.  Some slightly older,
nearly free (when you can find them) models are about the size of a large
VME box (like a 4/670) and can handle normal environments just fine.

S/370's are harder.  Something like a P/370 would be ideal, they're the
size of a small PC.  Failing that, many of the aircooled 93xx series can
fit in a single 5' rack complete with DASD.  That's what I'm shooting for.

-James