[SunRescue] Sparcstation 2

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Fri Jul 2 07:44:16 CDT 1999

On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, David Cantrell wrote:

> I've just got myself a Sparcstation 2.  I hope you lovely lot don't
> mind me asking some stupid questions :-)
>
> It came with Solaris 2.6, but I intend to use Linux which I'm familiar
>   with on x86.  Are there any 'gotchas' I should be aware of?

Not really, I am running Debian 2.1 on my SPARC, and it's very nice
(although I would prefer Slackware, but that isn't out yet). I can only
speak for the Debian distro, This machine has never touched Red Hat :) The
installation was smooth, no problems. (Just the little things I don't like
about any Debian install in general, especially the package install, when
it goes through EVERY package to check).

For kernel support, get at least 2.2.4... it's the first version the SPARC
tree was officially merged in the kernel (or was it 2.2.3, anyway).. my
SS-2 moves along happily. I am very pleased with its performance.

Have fun.