[SunRescue] Sparc 10 cover plates

Peter Koch koch at pz.pirmasens.de
Tue Dec 21 09:16:33 CST 1999

Hi!

paul pries wrote:
>When you pass 4 to 5 Mbit/s you'll notice an
>inrease in collisions,

And this makes things even worse. On an ethernet segment
with about 50 machines where 5 or more machines want to
transmit (and are fast enough to saturate the ethernet)
the overall throughput drops to less than 3MBit/sec.
See van Jacobsens work (i think it was from 1994) about
ethernet collisions and algorithms...
>From my memory, he used several Sun 3/50 (with a self
written and highly tuned tcp/ip stack) and modified the
algorithms (especially the code what a machine should
do if it detects a collision).

BTW: This is the same guy that brought us the SLIP/PPP
vJ-compression.

Tschuess

Peter