[SunRescue] the aftermath...

David Rouse drouse at arlington.newsargus.com
Thu Dec 16 16:25:46 CST 1999

> i am now the proud owner of an apple network server 500/132. it was
free,
> part of the aftermath of the throw-everything-away spree. it's only
got
> 32 megs of ram, but it came with a dds-2 dat drive, and a cdrom drive
> containing the aix/ppc media. i don't have an aaui transciever yet,
but

Cool, yeah I've talked myself into keeping my ANS. The things aren't
that RAM hungry, we had a functional 20 user file server with only 64
MB.

> i got the os installed and the beast is up and running. the case is
> incredibly clean... it looks brand new with the exception of the fact
> that someone broke a fucking key off in the front panel lock/switch
which
> is required to boot into single user mode or from cdrom. the plastic
is all

You can get a whole key assembly (set of keys and two locks) as an Apple
spare part, but you might want to check the web for companies that do
used Apple equipt.

I know there is some kind of switching thing going on with the back
cover, because it won't power up without the power closed. I'll look in
the manuals and see if says exactly what the back lock does.

By the way, I'm having trouble getting my DDS2 recognized by the system,
it had been taken out and de-cabled. Can you tell me how the drive is
wired to the carrier?

---
David Rouse
Network Manager