[SunRescue] Re: Speaking of SGI equipment...

Sam Creasey sammy at oh.verio.com
Thu Dec 16 16:11:28 CST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, David Champion wrote:

> Linux, etc., so of course I would.</flamebait>  After using Solaris a
> few years, I found I couldn't stand dealing with all the wacko,
> cokeheaded eccentricities of IRIX and the SGI hardware.  They made me
> very angry, with regularity.  Software that worked everywhere else with
> no special mods took weird --not hard, just bizarre -- patches for
> IRIX; strange things would happen on SCSI busses for no obvious reason,
> driveers would fail, patch, work, fail, patch, work, then be obsoleted
> on one piece of hardware by one OS release and by another OS release
> for another pience of hardware.  XFS didn't work right for years.  I'm
> trying not to write a full list of IRIX's flaws.
>
> I haven't been using IRIX for about 6 months now.  I miss it.  I really
> miss it.  It was a lot of fun.  I will be greatly saddened when SGI go
> under, but I can say they're getting what they deserve.

Such comments reminde me strongly of NeXTstep...  The most painful OS to
maintain I've ever loved....  (but the hardware...  designed by crack
fiends, I swear...)

-- Sam

"UN-altered REPRODUCTION and DISSEMINATION of this IMPORTANT
Information is ENCOURAGED, ESPECIALLY to COMPUTER BULLETIN BOARDS."
	-- Robert E. McElwaine