[SunRescue] Speaking of SGI equipment...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 16 12:58:51 CST 1999

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Eric Ozrelic wrote:
>Does anyone like to run Irix? Is it a good OS and
>does it run fast on...let's say an Indigo 2 250mhz system with
>64 mb ram? I'm trying to decided if I want to buy one to play
>with or not. Does anyone know any good SGI hardware references
>or breakdowns?

  I've had a Sun of one sort or another on my desk for the past eight years.
Until just recently, that is.  Now my desktop platform, at home and at work, is
an Indigo2 (R4400/250, 128-192mb RAM) running Irix 6.5.

  It consistently runs rings around my SS20/81s.  I'm a diehard Sun fanatic but
these machines are simply TOO MUCH better to ignore them.  AMAZING graphics
capabilities, great sound support, great SCSI performance, wonderfully fast CPU.
If people are looking to put together such systems, I know a little bit about
them and would be happy to help with questions and such.

  I'm also running a ChallengeDM (4x R4400/250) and an Indy (R4400/150) here.
Great hardware.

  Irix takes a bit of getting used to if you're a BSD person...but it's quite
nice when you get used to it, and it's very, very fast.

                     -Dave McGuire