[SunRescue] Re: Speaking of SGI equipment...

Bjrn Ramqvist brt at osk.sema.se
Wed Dec 29 02:14:06 CST 1999

James Lockwood wrote:

> I'd be very very surprised if Sun wasn't working on accelerated texturing
> support for their next generation of high end framebuffers.  It's the only
> major thing missing for them to take on the high end visualization market.

Oh I'd say watch out for the next generation graphics cards from SGI.
>From what I've been seen and told, along with some "non-disclosure"
information from some deeper SGI insiders, they're working on some
really cool stuff now. People are talking about 8x the performance of
todays XIO cards.
I've been told we'll all see these things poping up next millenium.

Although I think their relation with Nvidia has sport a new series of
"visual workstation PC's", this time without that proprietary "Cobalt"
chipset. Think of it as a standard off-the-shelf PC (almost), with AGP
4x bus.
Sad move, but to be able to sell PC's today, you must follow the lead,
not steer it. :-(
(also development costs made the decision)

BTW, Happy New Year!

	/Regards, Bjorn