[SunRescue] Help with IPC serial ports...

apotter at icsa.net apotter at icsa.net
Tue Dec 28 12:59:20 CST 1999

Greetz:

The IPCs are painfully slow, and their utility is (IMHO) limited, particularly
in view of the fact that IPXen are showing up cheap (free?) and have `prox
twice the bang.

That being said, I still have a couple of IPCs on the home net, as nameservers
and NIS servers.  I have a SMALL lan (less than a dozen nodes) and less than 5
users in the YP tables, so they're not getting the crap pounded out of them.

I run OpenBSD on these boxes, more because of the smaller memory footprint
than anything else, although it "just works" for all of my needs.  Your linux
options are limited distro-wise, and RedHat, even though I am a large RedHat
fan, wants more ram for the install program than I am willing to park in an
IPC.

I've never even attempted to use a Sparc with a modem as in Internet gateway.
The serial ports (as you have discovered) suck.  Honestly, this is a task for
which they were never intended.

<heresy>

Instead, keep your eyes out for an old PC.  Good serial hardware is either
built-in, or cheap, and these days the price is right.  I have 9 or 10 Sparcs
running at the house, but the firewall is a 486/160 (built out of
dumpster-dive parts) and aside from the IDE disks that keep crapping out, it
works just fine.

</heresy>

Hope this helps.....

AL