[SunRescue] Re: Speaking of SGI equipment...

ward at zilla.nu ward at zilla.nu
Thu Dec 16 18:32:03 CST 1999

On Thu, Dec 16, 1999 at 05:11:28PM -0500, Sam Creasey wrote:

> Such comments reminde me strongly of NeXTstep...  The most painful OS to
> maintain I've ever loved....  (but the hardware...  designed by crack
> fiends, I swear...)

Actually, I found it to be the easiest to maintain, once I got a grip on how
much nicer NetInfo is than NIS. :)  Man, I wish I could replace every instance
of NIS with NetInfo at work.

I also liked the hardware a lot, but I'm weird that way.  They had to jump
through a number of hoops to get the first boxes under 12" cubed, as they wanted
to show up IBM.  The later (ADB) stuff annoyed me, but I liked the early cubes
and stations.

Then Jobs had to go and get bored, and drop the hw line just as it made money.
Then Jobs had to go and get bored yet again, and sell the OS to Apple.
I bet he does something just as drastic when he gets bored at Apple.

Reagen