[SunRescue] Re: Sun3 high end toyz

james james at foonly.com
Thu Dec 2 13:22:11 CST 1999

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, BSD Bob wrote:

> Speaking of higherendian sun3toyz.....   What are the top of the line
> sun3 things.  I was thinking of your basic faster than molassas server
> kind of thing running off a terminal head spitting a few web pages on
> Apache.  Currently my 3/160 is adequate, but a tad slow.  I hate my
> 3/80 because of its gee-I-lost-my-nvram-contents-today-again syndrome.

Definately a 3/400 based box.  It's easily the fastest of all sun3's
running a 33MHz 68030 with 256K L2 cache, it would likely be triple the
speed of your 3/100 for CPU bound stuff.

Downside is that they're relatively rare and that they only came in big
chassis (3/470, 3/480).  I used to have a 3/410 on my desk (3/400 board in
a 3/110 chassis) and it was a screamer at the time.

-James