[SunRescue] SCA drives?

James Lockwood lockwood at ISI.EDU
Mon Aug 23 20:18:20 CDT 1999

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> I've got a noisy SCSI (that's sexy, not scuzzy) drive in my SS20.  At
> work we use drives with SCA connectors in some of our servers.  The
> drives at work as UW scsi, while my SS20 is narrow SCSI (right?).  I was
> wondering I could use the same drives in my SS20, since they're all SCA.
> The only issue that comes to mind would be the SCSI ID, because it is
> also assigned via the SCA connector.  The drives at work can have IDs
> higher than 7, while my SS20 cannot.  Assuming that the SCSI controller
> is what assigns the ID, I shouldn't have any problems.   Anybody see
> where I've totally gone wrong?  Thanks,
>     Greg

They should work fine, some of the drives that Sun shipped in the SS5/SS20
were actually wide SCSI (capable of using ID's from 0 to 15).  The small
interface board that the drives plug into sets the ID's.

One thing to watch out for are the new LVD drives.  Some of these
correctly autonegotiate down to SE narrow SCSI mode, some of them don't.
Nearly all of the do negotiate correctly to a wide SE controller (which
the SS20 does not have).

-James