[SunRescue] IPX or Classics

andrew m hoerter amh at POBOX.COM
Sun Aug 22 09:19:48 CDT 1999

On 21 Aug 1999, Harry Regan wrote:

> I'm running Solaris 7 on a SparcClassic with 48 Meg RAM...
> Runs like a champ.

Shamefully, I did an installation of 2.7 on a SPARC 1 (yes, not even a 1+)
with 28 megs of RAM ... from a single-speed CD-ROM.  :-)  It took about a
half hour to start the OpenWindows portion of the prcoedure, but
everything worked as expected (just very slowly).  I didn't bother
installing any of the X stuff, but the machine works great as a testing
box or backup DNS. (the hostname?  "glacier")

I suspect OpenBSD would have run much better, but I ran into a problem
installing the bootblocks at the very end of the installation and couldn't
figure it out.

It's interesting how Micro$oft quotes minimum hardware requirements that
just barely allow you to install the OS, while Sun quotes hardware
requirements that you can slice in half and still be able to run at a
semi-acceptable speed.

-andrew
--
Religion has done love a great service by making it a sin.
                -- Anatole France