[SunRescue] netscape/xlib problem.

David Cantrell david at wirestation.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 07:12:38 CDT 1999

Gregory Leblanc said:

>                 When I try to start the /usr/local/netscape/netscape
> executable, it gives me an error like this: Xlib: connection to ":0.0"
> refused by server Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> Error: Can't open display: :0.0
>
> I suspect that this is an xauth thing, but I can't seem to figure out how
> to fix it.  Any pointers?  Thanks,

:0.0 is a local display on the machine you're running netscape on.  If
you're connecting to that machine via telnet (for instance) you may not
have permission to access that screen, and you almost certainly don't
want to anyway.  What you probably want to do is run netscape on the
remote machine but _display_ it on your _local_ screen.  To achieve
this do either ...

bash ~david % DISPLAY=your-machines-FQDN:0
bash ~david % export DISPLAY
bash ~david % netscape &

or ...

bash ~david % netscape -display your-machines-FQDN:0 &

At least, both of those work for remotely displaying apps running on my
Linux and SGI boxen and I see no reason for Sun to behave any
differently.

Hope that helps, and please forgive me if I completely misunderstood
the question :-)

--
David Cantrell - http://www.ThePentagon.com/NukeEmUp/

He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after
it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart.